Friday, June 18, 2010

What Changing Already?

When you start a blog like this one its always difficult to know how to organize it and what to write about. So you start out organizing it one way but soon discover it doesn't quite work for you, so you make some changes.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what has happened to me.

When I first started I thought it would be best to have a specific topic on payroll for each day of the week.  This way all topics are covered and I would always know what to write about on that day instead of sitting around going what should I write about today? But now that I have a few months under my belt I find this method doesn't work very well for me.  I feel like I am missing out on pressing or current topics. For example, Monday is wage and hour law.  But the DOL  or a state announces a change on Tuesday.  To keep to the topic schedule I wait until the following Monday to write on the news.  And that I just don't like.  I want this blog to be current, in real time so to speak.  If the DOL announces it today, I want to write on it either today or tomorrow, not a week from now.

So as of today I will be making some changes.  I will use the news of the day for my topic first instead of the daily subject.  And if there is no relevant news of the day, then I will use the topic when needed.  And you can rest assured that anytime I feel the need to blog on the payroll profession I will do so regardless of which day of the week it is.

In addition, this will be my last Friday blog.  I will only be blogging Monday through Thursday.  Now before you start accusing me of taking time off and what kind of payroll professional can I be if I can take time off, I actually need to use Fridays for my business.  You see every other Friday I use as my catch up day.  I update my school websites and manuals, write newsletters, answer questions from seminar attendees, do phone conferences with clients etc.  Trying to blog on that day is really tough.  And on the opposite Fridays I handled all of my business out of the office such as appointments with clients etc.  So that means this is my last one for Fridays.

But maybe it won't be the last blog we post on Fridays.  What I hope will happen is all the payroll professionals out there who want to do a blog one time or every once in a while, might submit their blog to me and I can use Fridays for posting their blogs.  So Friday is guest blog day.  If you want to get something off your chest and it is payroll related send it to me at payrolladvisor@cox.net.  I will be posting your blogs on Friday.

I hope you like the changes.  Please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment